The holidays are upon us, and it’s FINALLY feeling like winter in Northern California. Rain is falling, there’s a chill in the air—it’s pretty awesome. PLUS we have this delicious hot cocoa to warm us up, it’s infused with spices and orange peel, and it has Guittard Chocolate’s awesome cocoa powder. Oh yes. This hot cocoa is great for kids, and if you want to turn it into an adult beverage (no judgement) add a splash of whiskey!
2 cups New Barn Organic Sweetened Almond Milk
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 tsp whole cloves
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
2 cinnamon sticks
1 medium orange
2 tbs Guittard Cocoa Rouge Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
a pinch of salt
(optional) a splash of whiskey!
- Place the almond milk, maple syrup, cloves, and cinnamon (ground and sticks) in a pot over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Carefully peel about half of the orange (avoid the white pithy part) and place the peel into the pot as well. Set the rest of the orange aside for later use.
- Whisk in the cocoa powder and salt until fully incorporated.
- Once the almond milk is hot and fragrant, strain through a fine sieve and serve with your favorite whipped topping (we used whipped coconut cream to keep it #vegan)
- Garnish with a cinnamon stick, a sprinkle of ground cinnamon, and if you’re old enough to partake, maybe a little splash of whiskey! (Enjoy responsibly)