Carrot cake is a big time favorite with the team at New Barn, but none of us had ever tried a vegan version. We learned something huge during this process – it tastes as good, if not better, than the non-vegan ones we’ve had before! Seriously, this is a big crowd pleaser – we promise.
For the cake:
2 1/4 C all purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp salt
1/2 C applesauce
1 C New Barn unsweetened AlmondMilk
2 tsp vanilla
1 C cane sugar
1/2 C canola oil (can substitute melted coconut oil if you prefer)
2 C grated carrots, approximately 4-5 medium carrots
For the frosting:
4 oz vegan cream cheese (we love Kite Hill)
4 tbsp vegan butter
2-3 C confectioners sugar, sifted
4 tsp New Barn unsweetened Almondmilk, more if needed
1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350F and grease a 9 x 9 baking dish (we used a ceramic one).
- In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, or standing mixer, whisk together the wet ingredients and the sugar.
- Mix in the dry ingredients a little at a time until combined.
- Add in the carrots and fold into the mixture. Don’t overmix.
- Pour the mixture into your pre-greased baking dish. Place in the oven and bake for 40-50 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 15 minutes in the baking dish. You can then remove to cool completely for frosting.
- For the frosting, cream the butter and cream cheese together, then add the vanilla. Slowly add the confectioners sugar, one cup at a time until you reach your desired consistency. If it dries out too much, add in a bit more Amondmilk.
- When the cake is completely cool, frost it! We just frosted the top, but there was some icing leftover – so feel free to frost all over!
Decorations – up to you! We ground up some leftover carrot we had and squeezed the water out of it to create the carrot shape. A sprig of rosemary serves as the stem.